Sunday 15 November 2015

IZUNWAONU
The wind of Christmas blows and the memories of Childhood are stimulated. Every street by now in Igogoro is adorn with over grown elephant grasses with thorns marking the proximity of Ợkpa Uche prior to that of Christmas. This is the period when all eyes look up in anticipation of the relatives coming home. Everything can be killed in my mind except nostalgia for my village, I carry it in the color of my eyes, in every love affair, in everything that deeply torments and unties and tricks, I cannot forget that this is the time my parents procure my Christmas cloths with that of my siblings from Eke Ozzi(Ogrute). Most of us who grew up with activities done in the village, know that 20th of every November (Ợkpa Uche festival) is a day we would want to be celebrated every day, and as time moves on, that line of nostalgia will keep moving forward even when the wind of life has taken some of us far from home. I am grateful for the home I have, knowing that at every moment at home, all I have is all I need. Gladys M. Hunt, in his work “Honey for a Child's Heart” answered it better -My favorite definition on Home is "a safe place," a place where one is free from attack, a place where one experiences secure relationships and affirmation. It's a place where people share and understand each other. Its relationships are nurturing. The people in it do not need to be perfect; instead, they need to be honest, loving, supportive, recognizing a common humanity that makes all of us open to each other.” If Home is people, then it was wherever the people who loved you were, whenever you were together and that is exactly what the people of Igogoro are to me because they make me feel at Home IGOGORO IS MY HOME.
Read more at  IZUNWAONU



No comments:

Post a Comment

Suggest something to Izunwaonu

FORGIVE ME. By Onuh Justus Izuchukwu

I was the man who misunderstood her intentions. She saw a Rose (flower) in my computer bag and she insisted in knowing who it is meant for...